COVID Safety at the AVCA Convention
AVCA is committed to attendee safety and will follow all CDC, local, and venue guidelines when implementing the convention. AVCA will continue to monitor these guidelines and will post updates on this page if the guidance changes.
Please click here for the Greater Columbus Convention Center COVID Safety and Reactivation Plan.
On September 9, 2021 the city of Columbus issued a mandatory face covering order for all publicly accessible spaces in the city regardless of whether or not a person is vaccinated. This order includes the Greater Columbus Convention Center, hotels, Nationwide Arena, bars/restaurants, public transportation, and retail establishments. Exceptions to the order include people actively eating/drinking, engagement in sports/recreational activities, and those giving a speech or live performance. AVCA strongly encourages coaches to follow this requirement as well as practice social distancing when possible throughout convention week. Vaccinations or negative COVID test results are not required to attend the convention at this time. If the guidance for masking or event capacity restrictions changes AVCA will follow those guidelines and notify attendees.
Safety measures being implemented in Columbus include:
- Greater Columbus Convention Center custodial staff will clean all areas of the building before, during, and after convention activities each day. Regular cleaning of high touch point areas such as escalator handrails, stair railings, door handles, purchase devices and elevator buttons with CDC recommended products will be completed throughout the day. Please see the information below to learn more about the Global Biorisk Advisory Council Star Certification awarded to the convention center along with the VenueShield program.
- Regular cleaning and sanitizing of facility public spaces and restrooms.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be located in numerous locations throughout the center and Hyatt.
- Food/Beverage service will consist of individually wrapped items, boxed meals, or plated meals. No buffet service will be offered.
- A supply of masks will be available to attendees that request them.
- Exhibitors and attendees are strongly encouraged to wear masks, maintain social distancing, and use hand sanitizer when networking with each other in Volleyball Marketplace and throughout the convention.
- All AVCA contracted hotels have implemented enhanced safety procedures. Please visit the links below for details.
The Greater Columbus Convention Center has developed a comprehensive cleaning, training, and safety guide to make the center as safe as possible for attendees. Click here to learn more about the VenueShield program implemented in the convention center. The convention center has also received the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC) Star Certification for implementing the most stringent protocols for cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention in the facility. Click here for details on the GBAC accreditation program.
Click here for a list of what to expect regarding COVID protocols inside Nationwide Arena.
All AVCA Convention hotels have implemented additional COVID safety measures inside their guestrooms and meeting space. Click here for details of the Hyatt Regency Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment Program. Details regarding the Hilton CleanStay Program can be found by clicking here. The Sonesta has implemented the Stay Safe with Sonesta Program with more information found here.
Convention attendees that need to provide a negative COVID test result before returning to their home country are encouraged to visit the CVS at 591 East Livingston Ave., Columbus, OH 43215 for a molecular lab (PCR/NAAT) test that meets most requirements for travel. Results are available in 1-2 days. Please click here for more information and to schedule an appointment. Convention attendees who are experiencing COVID symptoms and would like to get tested are encouraged to visit the OhioHealth Urgent Care Grandview location for a test. Please click here for more information. The OhioHealth location is open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday – Sunday. Both locations are approximately 2 miles and 8 – 10 minute drive from the convention center.
Please click here for city of Columbus COVID updates and safety guidelines.
Please click here for the Ohio Department of Health COVID guidelines and information updates.
Please click here for Centers of Disease Control (CDC) updates and information.