Beach Coach Education Track and Programming
Some of the brightest coaching minds in beach volleyball will share their expertise at the 2019 AVCA Convention. The convention schedule will include an education track targeted specifically for beach coaches. Both on-court and classroom sessions will be offered led by some of the top coaches in the beach game. The sessions will include topics ranging from player development and training methods to new drill ideas and team systems.
In addition to the educational sessions you won’t want to miss the Beach Coaches General Meeting on Friday afternoon as well as several focus group discussions to dig deeper into specific topics around the game.
Please see the schedule below for the beach coach programming at the convention. Be sure to check back frequently for updates as new beach programming will be added to the schedule leading up to the convention.
Thursday, Dec. 19
• Roundtable Discussion: Men’s Beach Volleyball
8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
• Roundtable Discussion: NCAA Beach Issues
9:45 – 10:45 a.m.
• A Primer on Beach Volleyball: Blocking, Digging, Setting and Hitting (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Todd Rogers & Phil Dalhausser
11 a.m. – Noon
• Offensive Strategies: What to Do When & How (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Kristen Rohr & Joe Rich
3 – 4 p.m.
• How to Play Defense: Strategies and Systems (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Dain Blanton, Jeff Conover & Matt Heath
4:15 – 5:15 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 20
• Beach Session TBD (classroom) – presented by Beach Nation – Speaker TBD
8:15 – 9:15 a.m.
• Collegiate Beach Coaches General Meeting
9:15 – 10:15 a.m.
• JVA Beach Club Directors and Coaches Meeting (open to all junior and college beach coaches)
10 – 11 a.m.
• Measuring and Utilizing Performance Data to Develop Beach Volleyball Athletes (classroom) – Wayne Holly
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• Beach Volleyball Rating: A Systematic Approach for National Championship Caliber Evaluation (classroom) – Marcio Sicoli & Delaney Knudsen (Pepperdine)
11:45 – 12:45 p.m.
• Set for Success (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Beth Van Fleet
1:15 – 2:15 p.m.
• Warm up Games: Setting the Tone for Practice, Fun Yet Focused (court) – presented by JVA & Beach Nation – Kristen Rohr & Joe Rich
2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
• How to Adapt Indoor Drills and Modify Fundamental Beach Drills for Your Team (court) – Marcio Sicoli & Delaney Knudsen (Pepperdine)
3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 21
• Building a Solid Foundation: How to Teach Littles (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Patty Dodd
9 – 10 a.m.
• To Pull or Not to Pull, That is the Question (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Beth Van Fleet & Patty Dodd
10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m
• Serving in the Sand: A Point Scoring Opportunity (court) – presented by Beach Nation – Beth Van Fleet
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
• Building an Effective and Profitable Beach Program (classroom) – presented by JVA & Beach Nation – Phil Dalhausser, Jenny Hahn, Colleen Craig, Patty Dodd & Mark Fishman
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.