Pre-Convention Seminar: An Analysis of Advanced Offensive and Defensive Systems and Skill Development
Wednesday, December 15, 1 – 4 p.m.
GCCC Short North Ballroom B & Mateflex Court 2
Jim Stone, Jim Stone Consulting and Former Ohio State Head Women’s Coach
with Mick Haley, Master Coaches and Former USC Head Women’s Coach
As Jim Stone transitioned from coaching at the collegiate level for thirty years to the international arena as the USA Women’s Youth and Junior National Team coach, the way skills and systems being taught also had to transition to meet the demands of global competition. The adage “what got you here won’t get you there” was certainly appropriate. Facing the best age group players in the world mandated a change in both system development and skill execution.
Join Jim and Mick as they lead you through an analysis of advanced offensive and defensive system development and the skills required to execute these systems. The most visible indicators of advanced skill development are the consistency of execution, speed of execution, and accuracy of execution. These are the ingredients of successful teams at every level. We will analyze how each skill is performed at the highest levels, integrated into a team system, and how you can implement these concepts into your training. Some of the items we study will be:
- Blocking footwork and systems to defend the advanced offensive system
- Modifying serve receive techniques to handle the high-velocity serve
- Implementing visual cues into skill execution
- Concepts of an advanced offensive system
- Transition attack footwork for the middle hitter
- Other aspects of the game allowing you to view what you are teaching from a different perspective
The seminar will consist of two ninety-minute sessions:
- A whiteboard/video session to provide a visual of skill and system development
- An on-court session, demonstrating how to teach the various techniques to players
The seminar will have value for both collegiate and high school coaches as they challenge their troops to advance to a higher level of play.
Jim Stone Bio: Head Coach at The Ohio State University for 27 years, winning multiple Big Ten championships and attending two National Semi-Finals. Upon retiring from OSU, he joined the USAV High-Performance program as the Youth National Team Coach. I was fortunate to coach at five FIVB World Championships, winning silver medals in 2013 and 2015 and a gold medal in 2019. These are the only medals the USA has won by boys or girls teams at age-group world championships.