Men’s/Boy’s Education Track and Programming
The AVCA Convention and Virtual Convention schedule will include an education track targeted specifically for coaches of men’s and boy’s teams. Some of the top coaches in the men’s game will lead sessions on topics ranging from new drill ideas and team systems to coaching philosophy and training techniques.
In addition to the educational sessions, you won’t want to miss the Men’s Coaches General Meeting on Friday afternoon to receive the most recent updates on the season and continue having conversations that help move the sport forward. Also, make plans to attend the Men’s Team Coaches Happy Hour on Friday evening and the Boys’ Talent Showcase on Saturday morning. The Boys’ Talent Showcase is a recruiting event developed for men’s college team coaches attending the convention. The event is open to uncommitted and unsigned high school and two-year college players.
Please see the schedule below for men’s/boy’s programming during the convention and virtual convention. Be sure to check back frequently for updates as new programming will be added to the schedule leading up to the convention.
Columbus Convention Men’s/Boy’s Programming
Thursday, Dec. 16
• Collegiate Men’s Beach Volleyball Meeting
8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
• Technical and Tactical Components that Lead to a Better Transition Game – Dave Preston, McMaster University
11 a.m. – Noon
• Rethinking Feedback in a Practice Setting – presented by USA Volleyball – John Speraw, USAV and UCLA
3 – 4 p.m.
• Back-to-Back National Championships & Four Straight NCAA Championship Appearances: Culture is Key – Alan Knipe, Long Beach State
4:15 – 5:15 p.m.
• Coaching Camp – John Speraw, USAV and UCLA
4:15 – 5:15 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 17
• Super Session: Why We Win & Teammateship Analytics: Measuring What We Value – presented by United States Marine Corps
- Why We Win – Dani Busboom Kelly, Louisville, Dan Friend, Lewis, Dain Blanton, USC & Marie Zidek, DePaul – moderator
- Teammateship Analytics: Measuring What We Value – Sue Enquist, USAV Women’s Team Consultant, Kim Hill, Olympic Gold Medalist, & Kathy DeBoer (moderator), AVCA Executive Director
• NAIA Men’s Volleyball Caucus
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• NAIA Men’s Volleyball Business Meeting
11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
• Men’s Coaches General Meeting
1 – 2:15 p.m.
• Growing the Men’s Game from Youth to Collegiate – Matt Mihelic, University of Mount Union, Matt Snyder, Everest Volleyball Club, & Craig Erford, Ohio State
2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
• Evolution of the Serve/Pass Battle: Passing Strategies and Tactics – JW Kiekheffer, Carthage College
3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
• Learning Lab: Running and Training the Medium System Offense with Alan Knipe
3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
• Men’s Team Coaches Happy Hour
5 – 6 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 18
• Adaptive Creativity – The importance of customizing drills to enhance & excite your players – Eric Snyder (Campbellsville)
9 – 10 a.m.
• Boys’ Talent Showcase
10:30 a.m. – Noon
• Simplify your System: How Breaking Down your Defense and Skill Work Prevent them from Breaking Down – Kyle Shondell, Indiana Tech & Will Dowdy, Trine
2 – 3 p.m.
Virtual Convention Men’s/Boy’s Programming
December 24, 2021 – January 17, 2022
• Boys’ Talent Showcase Video Recordings Available
Visit the Boys’ Talent Showcase Booth inside the Expo for recording links and athlete information.