Diversity Education Track
The AVCA Diversity Development Team has created a diversity programming track as part of the AVCA Convention to educate coaches on the systemic racism occurring on campuses and within our communities. The goal of these sessions is to educate our coaching community about matters of race, empowering each other to have difficult conversations and to stand against racism.
The Diversity Education Track also highlights and creates conversations surrounding issues of equity with regard to gender, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please see the schedule below for the diversity education program during the convention. Be sure to check back frequently for updates as new diversity programming will be added to the schedule leading up to the convention.
Thursday, Dec. 16
• Moms Who Coach: A Scouting Report to Doing It All (or Almost) – Christy Johnson-Lynch (Iowa State Head Women’s Coach), Marie Zidek (DePaul Head Women’s Coach), Nickie Sanlin (McKendree Head Men’s & Women’s Coach), Leslie Gabriel (Washington Associate Head Women’s Coach), Lauren Flowers (Texas A&M University-Commerce Assistant Women’s Coach) & Emily Kohan – Moderator (Colorado State Associate Head Women’s Coach)
3 – 4 p.m.
• Rallies, Rotations and Racism: An Intersectional Perspective of People of Color in Volleyball – Karen Weatherington (UNC Charlotte Head Women’s Coach), Ray Gooden (Northern Illinois Head Women’s Coach), Ashley Preston (New Orleans Head Women’s Coach), Verna Julaton (UNC Charlotte Associate Head Women’s Coach)
4:15 – 5:15 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 17
• Transgender Student-Athletes: Creating an Inclusive Environment that Helps Student-Athletes be Well to do Well – Molly Peirano (OSU Office of Institutional Equity Director of Education and Engagement)
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• A Volleyball Family: Comfortable Being Uncomfortable – Larry Wrather (Fort Valley State Head Men’s & Women’s Coach) & Ed Wrather (Assistant Men’s and Women’s Coach) & Kenny Rogers (First Point Volleyball Foundation) – Moderator
3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 17
• Roundtable: How LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Volleyball Advances Team Culture – Giovana Melo (CSU Bakersfield Director of Volleyball), Galen Dodd (Loyola Assistant Men’s Coach), Jake Barreau (Illinois State Associate Head Women’s Coach), Brooke Rundle (Headstrong Mindset Mental Performance Coach & Former Pro Volleyball Player) & Kirk Walker (President of the Sports Equality Foundation, Co-Founder of the Equality Coaching Alliance)
6 – 7 p.m. ET